Thanks to high-end designers, scrunchies are again becoming fashionable (and socially acceptable). Not your basic ’80s variety, this new “elevated” scrunchie features logos, luxe fabrics, and bows, and they’re not just for hair anymore. Scrunchie-inspired bags, shoes, and tops are cropping up everywhere. (This isn’t the first 80s trend to pop up recently. Click here to check out all the “door knocker” earrings that are back again.)
Need a reason to give them another try? I’ve got six:
- Scrunchies will not damage or dent your hair. Not even if you sleep in them.
- Scrunchies hide your basic hair elastics and elevate the ponytail from your basic gym-ready version.
- There are endless color and pattern options, guaranteeing your ability to coordinate one with your outfit.
- If you’re not into prints, patterns, or matchy-matchy outfits (see #3), there are plenty of neutral-hued scrunchies that will blend in with your hair color.
- When it inevitably finds its way onto your wrist, a scrunchie looks ever so slightly chicer than a hair tie (and won’t leave the telltale mark on your arm).
- Even the cool girls are wearing them (think more Karlie and Hailey, less Britney).
Shop the collage and more scrunchie styles below.